Pruning shears are one of the essential garden tools for most yards. They are a very strong scissors that are commonly used to prune shrubs and small branches. Their small size allows access to small areas that larger sized shears like loppers cannot reach. Despite being a hand tool, the best pruning shears can cut up to 3/4 ” without much effort.
The two common types of pruning or hand shears are bypass and anvil. Bypass shears have two curved blades. At least one blade is sharp to allow for cutting. They work like a pair of typical scissors where one blade passes by the other to make a cut. Anvil shears have a sharp blade that closes on top of a straight surface (the anvil). Generally, bypass shears are designed to cut shrubs or trees that are alive, while anvil shears are better for dead plants.
Having used poor quality pruning shears through the years, I can tell you that it pays to invest in the best pruning shears you can reasonably afford. Quality shears will save you from the pain of dealing with blisters or other injuries. They will also make your work much easier so you can actually enjoy your gardening.
Gonicc Professional Premium Titanium
- Drop forged body and handles.
- Quality blade made of Premium Titanium steel with Ultra-fine Polishing Technology.
- Ergonomically designed non-slip handles are strong,lightweight,and comfortable.
- Sap groove design to help keep pruning shears from sticking by channeling off sap.
- Pruners can cut up to 3/4" diameter size tree branches.This may vary depending on tree species.
These 8″ pruning shears can cut up to an approximate 3/4″ diameter branch. The titanium blade is extremely sharp and will maintain its sharpness for countless cutting sessions. The padded handles ensure comfort and help deter blisters. You might pay a bit more for these pruning shears than your average pruner, but they will last. This is one of those products that you can tell is built with quality in mind just by looking at it.
Corona ClassicCut Forged Bypass
- Easy cutting up to 1 inch diameter: fully heat-treated, forged steel alloy construction bladed designed for the professional gardener
- Sap groove keeps blade from sticking: cut efficiently without having to stop often to clean sap from the blade
- Re-sharpen while retaining hardness and strength: heat treated tool and cutting blade maintain durability season after season
- Close and clean cuts: the blade and hook of this tool are hand matched for precision, hook is slant-ground with a narrow profile
- Wire cutting notch for safety: Notch tool closed when not in use to prevent accidents
This hand pruner cuts up to 1″ in diameter. It features a built in sap groove to help redirect sap to maintain cutting efficiency. The blade is resharpenable and is made from forged steel alloy. The built-in lock ensures safety when the pruner is not in use.
Fiskars All Steel Bypass
- Ideal for cutting stems and light branches. Easy-open lock protects the blade during transport and storage
- Fully hardened, precision-ground steel blade stays sharp, even through heavy use
- Low-friction coating helps blade glide through wood, prevents the blades from gumming up with sap and debris and helps the blades resist rust
- Maximum cutting capacity: 5/8 inch diamater
- Lifetime warranty
When you buy a Fiskars product you know you are purchasing a quality tool at a very reasonable price. This pruning shear is designed to cut up to 5/8″, which is ideal for small tasks. The non-slip grips provide a nice level of comfort while also helping keep the user safe. The Fiskars pruning shears also contain a sap groove to help deter the blade from sticking. One of the convenient features of these pruning shears is the positioning of the safety lock. The lock is that orange circle in the center of the shears as pictured above. A simple flick of the thumb can unlock or lock the safety with little hassle.
Gonicc Professional SK-5
- √ SK5 HIGH CARBON STEEL BLADES - Quality blade made of high carbon SK-5 steel with chromium-plating technology. SK5 carbon steel blades are ultra strong, sharper and stays sharper than your ordinary blade and lasts even longer! No more worrying about a pruning Scissors blade that might become dull after just a few cuts.
- √ EFFORTLESS CUTTING BY PULLEY MECHANISM - The pulley design and spring loaded mechanism that easy cut branches in less efforts. As you squeeze pulley pruning Scissors, the pulley will scroll, providing ever-increasing pressure as you cut, thus decrease the force you need to apply on the handle.
- √ ERGONOMIC COMFORTABLE DESIGN - Ergonomically designed non-slip handles are strong, comfortable and lightweight of just 185g.
- √ EASY WORKING AND SAFETY - Safety lock can be free with a single hand. The pruning Scissors Perfect for woman and small hands.
- √ 100% NO RISK MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - We offer the lifetime warranty, if Scissors have any quality problem, please contact us, send your order number and take some photos of the product to us, we will provide a replacement to you ASAP.
The high carbon steel blade keeps these anvil pruning shears sharp for many cuts. You can cut up to 3/4″ diameter size branches. These 8″ shears offer a single hand safety release/lock for easy operation. The handles are not a thick as some other brands which may be ideal for people with smaller hands. Gonicc offers 100% money back guarantee and a lifetime warranty, which speaks to the quality of this product.
Crenova Professional Premium Titanium Bypass
- 【HIGH STRENGTH SK-5 CARBON STEEL BLADES】: Our pruner shears have a thicker blade made of Premium 65mn Titanium steel with Ultra-fine Polishing Technology and Teflon Coating, Make cutting more faster and powerful. The Garden Shear is Low-friction, Anti-corrosion and Rust-proof, Healthy for shears and branches.
- 【MORE DURABLE DESIGN】: Different with other pruner shears, our garden pruner has a high quality compression spring, through 30,000 fatigue tests and 10,000 non-deformation endurance tests, more durable, Perfect ideal for cutting up to 3/4-inch thick branches and flowers. Sap groove design to help keep pruning shears from sticking by channeling off sap.
- 【ERGONOMIC COMFORTABLE DESIGN】: Ergonomically Designed non-slip Aluminum Handles are Strong, Lightweight and Comfortable. You'll appreciate the way that a Crenova pruner will reduce wrist strain, require less pressure to cut, and generally make the pruning experience much more enjoyable.
- 【COMFORTABLE SPONGE HANDLES CASE】: Provide a Comfortable non-slip Sponge Handles Case and Hence reduce stress on your wrist, Make you feel so comfort while cutting, easy to grasp, non-slip and effortless. Ideal Choice.
- 【100% RISK FREE GUARANTEED】: We offer a lifetime warranty with Crenova pruner. In the unlikely case of any quality problems, please don't hesitate to contact us and we will get back you as soon as possible. Our customer service record is unmatched!
These 8″ shears will cut up to 3/4″ diameter branches. They have a sap groove to help prevent having to clean the blade during use. The SK-5 carbon steel blade is rust-proof and will provide smooth cutting after many uses. One of the nice features on these hand pruners is the padded sponge handles. They have just enough padding to allow comfortable cutting while not being too bulk to sacrifice grip for most people. The product comes with a lifetime warranty.
Premier Blades SK-5 Carbon Steel
As you probably already realized from the picture, these shears come with a cool holder (sheath) that can easily attach to a belt or other area for convenient access. A sheath does not come with most other pruning shears so you are truly getting a bonus if you choose to purchase this item. The SK-5 carbon steel blades ensure a strong cut for reasonably sized branches, limbs, and other greenery. The well designed padded handles will allow you to use these shears for a very long time without discomfort.
Oakridge Bypass Pruners
- REAL WOOD HANDLES - Our Cutting Shears Have Real Redwood Handles Unlike the other brands on the Market!!!
- SHARP CUTTING EDGE - Our Cutting blades have been sharpened to actually cut through mostly items such as paper, shrubs, rope, cable, thin metal, herbs, packaging, meat, sea food shells and meat along with many more items - Too Many To List
- FEELS GREAT IN YOUR HANDS - The Shears Feels great in your hands and are comfortable with the tension spring action making it easy for you to use. Also can be used be either Left hand users or Right hand users, it doesn't matter.
- GREAT GIFT FOR MANY USES - Our Shears can be used for many indoor and outdoor uses and is versatile to be used for your home tool box, work shop, kitchen tools, arts and crafts, pruning, camping, hunting, or any other emergency you may have the requires you to cut
- GUARANTEED TO PERFORM - These Shears are easy to clean and much more reliable than the current brands on the market. They are built to Last and Perform - GUARANTEED TO PERFORM -That's Why We Put Our Name Behind It - Oakridge Gardens(TM)
The real wood handles set these pruners a part from many other similar products. These shears are simply beautiful and come with a quality leather sheath for storage. This versatile bypass pruner features forged stainless steel for many hours of sharp cutting. You will feel like a professional gardener, if you aren’t already, if you own these shears.
Cate’s Garden Premium Bypass
- PREMIUM QUALITY BLADES Forged with SK5 Japanese cutlery high carbon steel blades for heavy duty durability and hard chrome plating for rust resistance. Manufactured with the highest quality techniques for a sharp, clean and precise edge. Manually tested and oiled.
- ERGONOMIC COMFORT DESIGN Specially 45 degree angled blade head is designed to allow pruning at awkward angles and difficult to reach places while reducing wrist fatigue.
- LIGHTWEIGHT CURVED ALUMINUM HANDLES Quality sculpted build with comfortable anti-slip thermoplastic padded shock absorbers for continued comfort over long use.
- DEFINING FEATURES 3/4 inch cutting capacity secateurs for workhorse flower and vegetable pruning and maintenance. Sap grove on lower blade reduces gumming and is easy to clean. High quality heat-treated tensile wire allows spring-back action. Easy to operate drop-forged aluminum snap lock when storing.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE If you are not completely satisfied with your new garden pruners, simply send them back, no questions asked. We guarantee you will love them!
This 8″ bypass hand pruner comes with a SK5 high carbon steel blade, which allows for cutting up to 3/4″. The product contains a sap groove and a 45 degree angle blade to make tight or difficult cuts. The shears lock from the bottom for safety.
Flora Guard Traditional Bypass
- Cutting capacity: 18 mm or 0.75(inch)
- STAINLESS STEEL BLADES:High carbon steel made. Coated with ilaflon, good for anti-rust, sharp and made for professional gardeners
- ERGONOMICALlLY DESIGNED:Ergonomic hand design, softer PVC dipping grip with silicon cushion. Easy for all size hand using
- CRAFTSMAN MADE:Dedicating to make a better pruner for gardeners.
- 3.3INCH LENGTH OF BLADE IN HANDLE:Guaranteed shear safety,make a better experience for customers.
If you a looking for lower cost, but quality pruning shears, Flora Guard may be an option for you. The blade is made from a high quality SK-5 carbon steel, much like many other higher priced pruners. The economical handles provide comfort while preventing slipping. The cutting maximum is a solid 3/4″. The shears are manufactured to last without putting a dent in your wallet.
The Gardener’s Friend Anvil Style
- NO MORE PAINFUL PRUNING! – If you have a weak grip or hand pain from Arthritis or have other mobility problems but still love to garden, these are for you
- QUICK AND EASY CUTTING! – The unique and effective ratchet mechanism uses leverage to make cuts with a fraction of the effort of conventional pruners
- DEVELOPED BY PROFESSIONAL GARDENERS! – With over 30 years of experience in a family-run nursery, The Gardener’s Friends developed the perfect pruning shears, and this is the result
- PERFECT FOR TRIMMING FLOWERS, TREES AND SHRUBS -- The ratchet system in these pruners can cut things as small as flower blossoms to 1 inch thick branches like a hot knife through butter
- GREAT FOR SENIOR GARDENERS -- As we age, things become harder to do; these secateurs have an ergonomic design that makes handling and using them pain free, safe and simple.
If you enjoy gardening but have difficultly operating gardening tools due to hand weakness, these shears may be a great option for you. The leverage system allows for much easier cutting than your typical pruner. These shears were developed by a professional gardener with decades of experience. You know that you are getting a product made with the consumer in mind. You can tell just by the picture why these made our list for one of the best pruning shears for this year.
Florian Ratchet-Cut Anvil
- Florian Ratchet-Cut Anvil Hand Pruners, 7.5 inches long
- Ratchet action multiplies cutting power to make cutting much easier
- Precise cuts up to 3/4 inch diameter
- Has 2.5-inch Teflon-coated high carbon steel cutting blades
- Fiberglass-reinforced nylon handles for smooth, lightweight operation.
At 7.5 ” long, these are one of the smallest pruning shears listed. However, these shears will have no problem cutting most garden or yard plants at or less than 3/4″ diameter. Yes, the handles are not padded like others on the list, but the quality blade puts minimal stress on your hands and the fiberglass construction allows for lightweight use.
Buying the Best Pruning Shears
While we provided a good list of some of the best pruning shears on the market, there are many quality shears out there beyond what is displayed above. There are also a lot of low quality shears that will not last through one gardening season and are frankly junk. Below we have listed some tips on finding a good pair of pruning shears.
- Comfort: Look for handles that provide ample padding that are made from a quality material. If the handles are not padded well, make sure you are buying a shear that is known to continuously cut smoothly.
- Quality Blade: You should not have to put up a struggle to cut something like a 1/2″ to 2/4″ branch. The blade should be made from a quality carbon steel that is known to maintain its sharpness.
- Sap Channel: You should look for pruning shears that have a sap channel. This will keep the blade free of sap and will help avoid interrupting your cutting.
- Money Back Guarantee and Warranty: A sign of a good pruning shear is often one where the company offers a 100% money back guarantee and/or an extremely long warranty. This often signals that the company stands behind the quality of their product.
- Locking Feature: Safety is always important when dealing with cutting tools. A quality pruner will come with a way to lock the shears when not in use. That being said, the locking feature should also not get in the way of your cutting. Locks that dangle or lock up unnecessarily when cutting can be a major nuisance. We personally like the button slide lock that is picture in the Fiskars and Flora shears above.
Good luck with your gardening! We hope you were able to find the best pruning shears for your needs.