The grill is undoubtedly a messy place with its exposure to grease, dirt, food remnants, and much more. A new grill can go from looking immaculate to grimy as soon as first use. It is important to keep up on cleaning a grill to deter corrosion, destroy harmful bacteria, keep food tasty, eliminate greasy fire hazards, and much more.
Below we have provide our picks for the best grill cleaners. We selected products for both interior and exterior applications to help you achieve an overall clean grill.
The Best Grill Cleaners for 2019
CLR BBQ Grill Cleaner
Many readers are likely familiar with CLR being one of the premier bath and kitchen cleaners. However, the company also makes a grill cleaner that is amazingly effective at cutting through the grease and grime that your grill will inevitably produce.
This foam cleaner can be used on both the interior and exterior of the grill. The solution is non-toxic and non-flammable making it safe to spray around your outdoor cooking area.
To use this product, the manufacturer recommends to simply spray the area that needs to be cleaned and allowing the formula to sit for a couple of minutes. You can then work the sprayed area with a cloth/brush and rinse it clean with water once the stains are lifted.
You should also consider CLR Stainless Steel Cleaner if your grill has stainless steel material. The stainless steel spray can also be used on your interior products such as the stove or dishwasher.
- 26 oz bottle
- Foaming trigger
- Made in USA
- Safe to spray around kids and animals
- Biodegradable formula that is safe for environment
>>>SEE ALSO>>>The Best Grill Brushes
Easy-Off Professional Oven & Grill Cleaner
The inexpensive but highly rated Easy-Off Oven & Grill Cleaner is an excellent choice for spot or deep cleaning the grill. The product is formulate to breakup stains and grease in as little as 5 minutes. You spray, wait as the formula works the stain, and then wipe the area clean. Easy-off is trusted by millions as a reliable grease and grime cleaner for a variety of surfaces with tough to clean stains.
- #1 Oven & Grill Cleaner (based on 2017 sales data)
- Works in as little as 5 minutes
Citrusafe Grill Cleaning Spray
As you might have expect from reading the product name, Citrusafe is a non-toxic grill cleaner that is safe to use on the grill grates. While this is a natural cleaner, it is still very powerful at eliminating grease and other unwanted food remnants.
The spray is a plant based cleaner, which uses citrus peel oils (d-limonene) to create a safe alternative to other harsh cleaners. Its main purpose is a grill grate cleaner. You spray the grates with a generous amount of Citrusafe, wait approximately three minutes for the formula to penetrate the grease/debris, use a grill scrubber to scrub the grates, and then wipe with a wet towel to clean up the remaining debris.
Once the grill has been cleaned with Citrusafe, the grill can be pre-heated and used for grilling. The Citrusafe cleaning process eliminates the common cleaning method of blasting the grates with high heat to burn off grease and grime. This saves gas and potentially money as your grill is not unnecessarily being left on to burn off left over food debris.
- 23 oz spray
- Phosphate free
- Does not irritate skin
Weber Grill Cleaner Spray
Weber is known as a leader of manufacturing high-quality grills, so it may be safe to assume that they know a thing or two about making a quality cleaner for grills. The Weber grill cleaner is a non-toxic powerful formula that allows the grill to be cleaned when cool.
This cleaning spray works similarly to the Citrusafe product above. The user sprays the Weber cleaning solution onto the grates and waits a minute (or 2-3 minutes if the grease is stubborn). The cleaner will rapidly breakdown the grease and debris. You can then use a grate grill scrubber to remove any additional grease or debris. A wet towel can then be used to clear away any final debris on the grates.
We highly recommend purchasing the Weber Grill Care Kit, which includes Grill Grate Cleaner (24 oz), Exterior Grill Cleaner (24 oz) and a Weber Grill Scrubber with pads. This is especially true if you do not currently has any grill cleaning products at your home.
- 16 oz cleaner spray
- No phosphates
Sprayway SW826 Oven and Grill Cleaner
The Sprayway cleaner is great for both oven and grill cleaning. The manufacturer states that the spray can be used on porcelain, ceramics, glass, cast iron, and stainless steel surfaces.
The foam spray will work on either a warm or cold ovens/grills. Once sprayed, it will immediately start to work away on tough grease and food debris that is stuck on surfaces. An overnight or same-day application can be completed as needed.
- 18 oz can size
- Works in minutes
- Thick foam application
Magic Stainless Steel Cleaner
Magic Stainless Steel Cleaner is one of the best products for specifically cleaning stainless steel for both indoor appliances and grills. People that are familiar with stainless steel know how beautiful it can look when fully polished and shiny.
The spray does not leave streaks and cleans away fingerprints, grease, and smears. Magic Cleaner also adds a protective layer to the stainless that helps it repel dirt, fingerprints, and water.
- 24 oz spray
- Citrus-like smell
- Use on stainless steel grills, refrigerators, stoves, microwaves, and more
- Easy to use: spray on grill, wipe in direction of grain using soft cloth, and buff with a dry cloth
Mr. Muscle Oven & Grill Cleaner
You have to love the name “Mr. Muscle” for an oven/grill cleaner. This heavy-duty cleaner will work on both warm and cold grills. It is an excellent product for the person who likes to deep clean or degrease their grill at the end of the summer or periodically during the year. Its industrial-strength will quickly cut through the caked on grease and grime to get your grill looking like new or hopefully at least presentable if your grill is growing old.
Keep in mind that you do need to wear gloves, as well as protect your skin and eyes when using this product. Read the product label carefully for proper use.
- 19 oz can
- Works on cold ovens/grills
- Can be used on appliance/grill glass doors
Original Krud Kutter Concentrated Cleaner/Degreaser
The highly-rated Original Krudd Kutter is one of the best grill cleaners for all-purpose cleaning. The spray is non-toxic, therefore, you do not have to worry about it transferring onto your food. Additionally, it is also non-flammable, which is obviously important if the spray happens come in contact with a grill flame.
The Krudd Kutter concentrated formula does an amazing job at cleaning grease and stains around grill surfaces. Once your done with it on the grill, you can bring it inside to use on sinks, showers, tubs, ovens, and much more. This is likely not a product that will sit and go to waste for lack of places to use it.
- 32 ounce spray (ready to use)
- Cleaner, degreaser, stain remover
Therapy Premium Stainless Steel Cleaner & Polish
Therapy is one of the best stainless steel cleaners you can buy for the grill or even for your indoor appliances. This cleaner removes fingerprints and smudges with ease and leaves a beautiful polished shine. Check out these amazing reviews and you will see why Therapy is one of trusted products out there for stainless steel cleaning.
The spray uses plant-based ingredients for its formula that includes coconut oil and lavender essential oil, which help contribute to the shine and the wonderful smell. This product is simple to use with a spray, a wipe in the direction of the grain, and then a buff to produce the shine. The spray will produce a protective layer that will help ward off fingerprints and smudges.
- 16 oz spray
- 14 x 14 inch microfiber cloth (included)
- Ingredients: Filtered water, coconut oil, sorbitan monooleate, lavender essential oil, acrylates copolymer, methylisothizolinone.
Goo Gone Grill & Grate Cleaner
Goo Gone is sprayed on the grates or other areas of the grill (interior & exterior) to remove grease, food stains, carbon, debris, and more. It is safe for food areas and will help reduce smoke/flare-ups inside the grill. Furthermore, the manufacturer states that the spray will help prevent corrosion.
- 24 oz spray
- Powerful gel
- Biodegradable formula
- Interior or exterior use
Grill Cleaners: What to look for before buying
- Safe Around Food – If you plan on using the grill cleaner on surfaces that come into contact with food, you should be sure the cleaner is food safe.
- Price – A higher price does not necessarily mean a superior product. Be sure to check out the reviews to see what actual purchasers have to say about the product. We have seen many expensive cleaners receive terrible reviews, so don’t be fooled by price.
- Body Safe – Some cleaners can be harmful to the skin, eyes, lungs, and other areas of the body. Be sure to read the product description in full to be sure you are buying a product that you are okay using around your grill. Some products may need to be used with gloves or eye protection. Be sure you have these on hand before using if necessary.
- Environmentally safe – As a society, we have become increasingly more aware about protecting the environment. Some products are clearly much more environmentally friendlier than others. Ideally you want to find a product that is both environmentally friendly and effective at getting the grill sparkling clean.
Importance of Keeping a Clean Grill
There are several reasons to keep a grill clean beyond appearance. Below are some compelling reasons why it is important to keep a clean grill:
- Deters Bacteria – A dirt grill can harvest bacteria that can spread to your food, grill tools, plates, and body when you are around the grill. A clean grill will help reduce bacteria and prevent individuals from getting sick.
- Preservation – When you clean your grill, you remove potential harmful elements that may impact the performance of the grill over the long-haul. Not cleaning your grill can lead to corrosion, rust, and a decrease in performance.
- Eliminates Harmful Brush Bristles- Believe it or not, wire grill brush bristles can cause serious issues to the body if ingested. It is a bigger problem than many people might believe. Check out this CBS article for a example of the damage that grill bristles can cause. A thorough cleaning can prevent individuals from swallowing wire bristles and potentially prevent a trip to the ER.
- Reduce Potential Cancer Risk – Food that has been burned can produce higher levels of acrylamide which can cause cancer. Cleaning your grill will reduce the burnt food remnants that can potentially be harmful to your body.
- The Grill Cover – Many people do not believe a grill cover is necessary. However, a grill cover will protect the grill from the elements/dirt and reduce the need for the labor and cost of cleaning.