Snow shoveling is often not a task that most people enjoy. This is especially true after a long winter of snow when just the thought of having to shovel the driveway again brings about dread. While snow shoveling can be a nuisance, we shouldn’t have to greatly sacrifice our comfort when completing this winter chore.
In order to help make your shoveling more tolerable, we compiled our picks for the best gloves for snow shoveling. These gloves are known for their warmth without significantly interfering with grip or maneuverability of the hands. They are also designed to keep the hands dry with their waterproof capabilities.
The Top 10 Gloves for Shoveling Snow
Velazzio Waterproof Breathable Gloves
- [WARM & LIGHT] - VELAZZIO ski gloves are padded with powerful 3M Thinsulate insulation, which traps body heat efficiently and provides nearly twice the warmth of other material. Thinsulate is also highly breathable and moisture-wicking. Suitable for Mid-winter conditions.
- [WATERPROOF & BREATHABLE] - Fan-Tex membrane technology keeps your hands dry and allows sweat out, ensuring “dry comfort” under snowy, sweaty, damp or rainy conditions.
- [ZIPPER POCKET] - Water-resistant zipper pocket offers immediate convenience for car keys, ID, cash and other small belongings when you are on the slope.
- [ADDITIONAL FEATURES] - Extremely durable PU palms are equipped with rubber dots for maximum grip. Adjustable-buckle wrist strap and drawstring closure prevent snow or cold air from creeping in.
- [SERVICE & WARRANTY] - All VALAZZIO products come with 30-day hassle free return and lifetime satisfaction guarantee. If the gloves do not meet your expectation or you have any concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us because we are always here to help until problem completely solved!
These are the gloves you want to keep your hands both dry and warm while snow shoveling.
The warmth comes from 3M Thinsulate that provides a thin, synthetic insulation. This insulation does away with the bulk that has traditionally been associated with this type of glove. This is perfect for snow shoveling since an excessively bulky gloves can get in the way of the shovel grip and thus, impacting performance.
The Fan-Tex technology keeps the hands dry while also allowing them to remain comfortable with the ability to release sweat.
We love the zipper pocket that is located near the glove opening. This is a convenient feature to store items such as car keys that you may need to access while shoveling. The pocket is water-resistant when sealed to help keep your belongings safe and dry.
The gloves come in three size: small, medium, large/extra-large. A size chart can be viewed by clicking the Amazon button below.
Andake Mens Insulated Gloves
- - TOUCHSCREEN-COMPATIBLE FINGERS and ZIPPERED POCKETS - made of conductive special material, the fingertips can perform multi-touch and zoom functions with ease, ideal for operating touch-screen telephones and music devices. You will love the zippered pouch design as the BODY WARMER can be inserted in to warm your hands, and the storage space it provides for your tickets, cards, keys and cashes helps to prevent loss and to keep your motility as well
- - THINSULATE EXTRA WARM THERMAL PADDED SKI GLOVES - Inserted with 3M Thinsulate Insulation, the gloves give excellent performance on holding heat and absorbing sweat, and as them filled with warm cotton, the gloves for men and women can always keep your hands warm and cosy
- - SENSITIVE TOUCH SCREEN FINGERS AND ZIPPED POCKET: Five fingers with touchscreen tips make it possible to use your smart device without take your gloves off. Water-resistance zipper pocket on the hand back can hold keys, ID, tickets, cash, cards and other small belongs during the outdoor sports
- - PU GRIP NON-SLIP PALMS and NOSE WIPE THUMB - The PU palms of the gloves are finished off with additional grip to make sure that you can grip your skis with ease. Soft-coated thumb can be used to wipe Cellphone Screen/Goggles/Lens
- - ADJUSTABLE WRIST STRAP and CONNECTED-CLIP FASTENERS - It allows adjustment of fit,can be tightened to keep snow and cold air outside. Lock clips can keep your gloves together when you are not wearing them
These Andake gloves feature 3M Thinsulate similar to the Velazzio gloves above. This technology will keep the hands warm while also deterring them from becoming a sweaty mess inside the gloves by providing breathability.
We especially like this gloves for snow shoveling because of their non-slip palms. The gripping material will help keep the shovel in hand while tackling all types of snowfall on the driveway. The finger tip material conveniently permits the hands to be used on smart screen devices without removing the gloves.
The wrist cuffs are adjustable to become tight around the users
wrists. This helps keep out the elements to allow the hands to remain dry and warm. Above the wrist cuff is a waterproof pocket that will hold small items such as keys, credit cards, or cash.
The gloves are available in S/M, M/L, and L/XL. Click the Amazon button below for additional details.
Carhartt Men’s Cold Snap Insulated Work Glove
- Insulated work glove featuring logo across knuckles, nose wipe, and wrist strap with barrel-lock adjuster
- Moisture-wicking lining
- Storm Defender waterproof breathable protection
The Carhartt Cold Snap Gloves are manufactured out of a 100% polyester lining with a 100% polyurethane palm. The gloves are both windproof, waterproof and breathable with their Storm Defender and FastDry technology.
The gloves are insulated to keep you warm in even frigid temperatures. The insulation is super soft to add comfort. Additionally, the cuffs are equipped with wrist straps to easily tighten to prevent snow from enter the glove interior.
The gloves are made in sizes from small to extra-large so most people will be able to find the right fit. There are also two colors to choose from: black (pictured above) and black/barley (see by clicking the button below).
SKYDEER Waterproof and Windproof Genuine Deerskin Leather Gloves
- [ Premium Genuine Leather Palm ]- Super durable, comfortable, soft and flexible! It absorbs impact and vibration. All materials are skin-friendly and moisture-wicking layers inside keep your hands sweat-free
- [ The Warmest and Comfortable Lining ] - 150g 3M Thinsulate Insulation protects your hands while you're out working in cold temperatures
- [ Multiple Thermal Materials ] - From the back of the gloves to the inside of the gloves, there are multiple layers for thermal preservation: waterproof soft warm Deerskin Leather Waterproof Bladders 3M Thinsulate Insulation Breathable Waterproof Layer Skin-friendly Thermal Jersey Socked Lining
- [ 100% Waterproof ] - perfect for the winter snow sport and cold weather work. Suitable for snowboarding, Cross-Country skiing, ice fishing, snowmobile, shoveling snow, hiking, and other winter outdoor activities
- [ Sizing and Fitting ] - Adjustable Wrist Strap & Snug-Fitting Drawstring Closure & Double shirred elastic wrist designed to fit most of the hands, and the Deerskin is also had a good stretch
These SKYDEER gloves offer amazing protection of the hands in extremely harsh conditions. They can handle cold up -40°F. It is safe to say that nearly all hands that wear these will be warm considering they can stand up these extreme temperatures.
The gloves are 100% waterproof and windproof which will be a needed feature to have when shoveling during nasty weather conditions. They are made with the popular 3M Thinsulate insulation for added warmth, breathability, and a sweat-free interior.
The five layers of thermal materials provide superior overall protection of the hands. The outer layer is manufactured with a premium deerskin on the palm that will help cut down on vibrations and impacts that are occasionally an annoyance while snow shoveling.
Similar to other gloves in this best snow shoveling gloves article, these SKYDEER gloves have a strap that allows the wearer to snuggly close the gloves around the wrists. This helps deter snow, ice, wind, and other elements from gaining access to the interior.
Overall, these are not the most stylish looking gloves, but they are certainly tough to beat for complete protection of the hands while snow shoveling in unfavorable conditions.
OZERO Extreme Cold Weather Thermal Protection Gloves (Male or Female)
- Ozero winter gloves are made from high quality genuine deerskin leather and polar fleece fabric. They have been tested to withstand extreme cold temperatures in minimum of -10℉ (-23℃). The most comfortable temperatures to wear these gloves are ranged from 23℉ (-5℃) to 41℉ (5℃). Your hands can be kept absolute warm and safe with these gloves on. Very comfortable and easy to wear
- The cold weather gloves are made with multiple thermal layers from the back of the gloves to the inside of the gloves to keep away the cold air: soft polar fleece, insulated cotton, firm sponge and TR cotton. They are proved to be waterproof and windproof, so you could wear them in the snowy or rainy day while your hands can be kept dry and warm
- The deer split leather palm is solid and anti-slip, which is durable and allows firm grips. They are light and flexible, so your fingers could move easily while wearing these gloves. They are suitable for any kinds of outdoor works or sports in cold winter, like jogging, cycling, driving, walking the dog, skiing, or cleaning snow
- The winter work gloves are unisex designed, so they are suitable for both men and women. We provide 4 different sizes, please refer to the size details carefully before you purchase the item. The men and women’s gloves may have some smell, but please don’t worry. The smell is from the deerskin and 100% non-toxic and harmless
- 100% Customer Service Warranty——We provide 1 year customer service warranty for you. If you have any problems of the products, or the product does not meet your expectation, please contact us anytime via emails. We will always strive to provide you with the most timely and effective service
We included these gloves as a value pick because they are reasonably priced and an excellent protector of the hands against the cold weather.
These gloves produce their warmth from several layers of thermal material including fleece, insulated cotton, firm sponge, and TR cotton. The manufacturer states that the gloves are -10°F cold resistance due to the previously mentioned multiple thermal layers.
The exterior is both deerskin and polar fleece. The deerskin is an anti-slip material to help keep the snow shovel firmly in the hands. The manufacturer states that these are proved to be waterproof and windproof. They are best for temperatures ranging from 23°F to 41°F.
N’Ice Caps Thinsulate Waterproof Gloves
- VERY WARM, WATERPROOF AND SNOWPROOF: The mittens and gloves are insulated with 100 Grams of 3M Thinsulate, which is intended to keep warm in very cold winter temperatures. The mittens and gloves are fully waterproof and keep your hands dry in wet, snowy and icy conditions. The mittens have an extended length gauntlet cuff with a lock that can be tucked under your coat sleeve to prevent snow from getting inside.
- BRING ON THE SNOW! These mittens and gloves are perfectly suited for cold, snowy outdoors activities including shoveling, skiing and snowboarding. The mittens and gloves have grippers throughout the palm area as well as grippers on the thumbs and fingers, which makes them well suited for physical winter activities. The gloves are also designed with curved fingers for better comfort and ergonomics.
- EASY TO PUT ON, ADJUST AND WEAR: The mittens and gloves are designed with elastic in the wrist area, which widens and allows plenty of room to comfortably fit your hands inside and in place in the finger holes. The hook and loop closure allows for adjustability and a tight, secure fit to keep the mittens and gloves on. These are great for active everyday winter use, as well as for skiing and snowboarding trips.
- PRODUCT DIMENSIONS: Length (L) is measured from the elastic along the mitten/glove wrist to the end of the mitten/glove fingers; Width (W) is measured across the mitten/glove palm area at the widest point: Men’s XX-Large (9.0” L, 6.0” W); Men’s L/XL (8.5” L, 5.5” W); Men’s S/M (8.0” L, 5.25” W); Women’s L/XL (7.85” L, 5.0” W); Women’s M (7.5” L, 4.5” W); When measuring hands, allow 0.5 inches extra room for cushion.
- WE ARE FROM MINNESOTA. IT’S COLD UP HERE! With over 30 years of experience shoveling snow in Minnesota winters, we at N’Ice Caps understand the importance of having quality and safe winter apparel. Whether your activities involve walking your dog or shoveling, or skiing and snowboarding, we are deeply committed to providing you with high quality products so that you will stay warm and safe in cold weather conditions.
N’Ice Caps are another pair of high-quality gloves that offer Thinsulate. They are windproof and waterproof while also being breathable to quickly release perspiration that is common while shoveling.
The lining is fleece to provide warmth and added comfort. Keep in mind that the wrist elastic creates a narrow opening that stretches to fit the wrist. This helps keep the hands warm but may not be ideal for some people looking for an easy pair of gloves to slip on.
The gloves also have adjustable wrist straps to secure the glove against the hand for further weather protection. Additionally, the palm is made with full PU grip to help keep the shovel in the hand.
MCTi 3M Thinsulate Waterproof Gloves
- 3M Thinsulate Insulation: The gloves are insulated with 40 grams 3m thinsulate and 140 grams warm cotton.It is thick enough to keep hands warmth in cold chilly weather in skiing, snowboarding, winter riding, hiking and other snowsports etc.
- Waterproof and Windproof Function: The composite three-layers softshell prevents cold wind and snows outside in riding and skiing. The insert waterproof TPU membrane provides entirely guards to keep hands dry in long time snowsports at outdoors. It's better to air dry for a while if sweats a lot.
- Wear Resistance: Soft full covered Nuback palm and reinforced rubber fingers ensures strong and flexiable hand grip in skis. Nose wipe fabric is available in the thumb finger. It is multifuctional and durable to use in winter sports.
- Zipper Pocket and Custom Fit: The pocket is easy to carry keys, ID cards or litter cashes as well as smaller size gloves warmers. The adjustable buckle wrist strap and the drawstring closure is effectively prevents against cold air outside.
- Comfortable Lining and Great Gifts: The lining is very soft and comfortable for skin touch. It will be a great gift for your familes, friends and workmates to play together in winter sports!
The popular MCTi winter gloves come equipped with 3M Thinsulate that holds in body heat while not collecting sweat inside the gloves. The gloves are waterproof and windproof because of a TPU membrane/polyester material.
The outside of the gloves contain a 3.15″ x 3.15″ pocket to store hand warmers, keys, money, or whatever else that can squeeze in there. The wrist straps allow the glove to pull tight to keep out the chill.
These gloves feature a nubuck palm that will help deter them from wearing down from hours of shoveling. They also have rubber fingers to assist in grip. Furthermore, they have buckle wrist straps to keep out snow, wind, rain, and other elements.
Gordini Gore-tex Storm Trooper II Waterproof Insulated Gloves
- Material: [face fabric] 94% nylon, 6% spandex, [palm] goatskin leather, [lining] Gore-Tex
- Waterproofing: Gore-Tex insert
- Insulation: Megaloft
- Closure: gauntlet cinch
- Palm Grip: yes
These Gordini Gloves feature a Gore-Tex lining with a breathe weave woven fabric and goatskin trim. We love these for shoveling because they are waterproof, windproof, yet breathable.
The gloves have a pocket opposite the palm to store any small items you might need while working outdoors. The palm and fingertip contain grips to help secure the snow shovel or other items in the hand.
These are made in sizes from small to extra-large. You can also choose from a variety of colors including black, black/tan (shown above), legion blue/tan, and gunmetal/black.
Hot Shot Mens Defender Winter Thermal Gloves
- Lined with 40 grams of 3M Thinsulate Insulation
- Features a waterproof insert for added protection
- Perfect for all cold weather hunts
- Machine wash cold
- Do not bleach, Dry Flat
The Hot Shot gloves dual as a good pair of hunting gloves for warmth in the wilderness while also being a solid choice for snow shoveling. Of course, you don’t have to be a hunter to use these for shoveling.
These gloves are made with 3M Thinsulate Insulation to maintain a thinner style glove without a reduction in heat loss. The material will help the hands remain dry from sweat with its breathability. The waterproof insert will assist in keeping the hands dry from the outside.
The feature we love about these gloves is that they are machine washable. Your gloves are bound to get dirty with outside use and being able to toss them in the washing machine is super convenient compared to handwashing.
The sizeable sure grip palm provides an extra level of protection while also helping prevent items such as shovels slipping from the hands.
Alpine Swiss Mens Waterproof Gauntlet Ski Gloves
- WARM 3M THINSULATE – Our gloves are insulated with 40g of 3M Thinsulate material that is thick enough efficiently trap heat and keep your hands warm. 3M Thinsulate is also breathable and moisture wicking to keep you comfortable in chilly weather and while enjoying fun outdoor snow sport activities such as skiing, snowboarding, and hiking.
- WATERPROOF & WINDPROOF – The outer shell is made from durable 150 D polyester material that is waterproof and windproof to keep your hands toasty and dry. Adjustable pull straps at the wrist ensure a secure fit over coat and jacket sleeves and keep out wind. Longer cuffs with drawstring closure can also be tightened for dual wind chill protection.
- FUNCTIONAL & BREATHABLE – The palms of the gloves have waterproof TPU material for better grip during your outdoor cold weather activities. The outer material is breathable yet warm and flexible for maximum dexterity.
- WINTER COMFORT – Super soft interior fleece lining adds another layer of warmth and is very comfortable to the touch. Soft elastic safety straps keep your gloves securely on your wrists when you take them off so you don't lose them.
- STYLISH – Available in fun and cool colorways to pair perfectly with your favorite outdoor winter attire.
If you are looking affordability and warmth, these Alpine Swiss gloves might be for you. These gloves offer 3M Thinsulate for warmth while also being waterproof and windproof because of the 150 D polyester outer shell.
The gloves are not overly bulky to where they get in the way of shoveling performance. Additionally, the palm helps maintain shovel grip with their waterproof TPU material.
The Alpine Swiss gloves offer two ways to tighten the gloves to the hands and wrists. They have adjustable pull straps at the wrist and a drawstring cuff closure to create solid seal against the elements.
Snow Shoveling Gloves: Frequently Asked Questions
Certain gloves can be machine washed. For example, the Hot Shot gloves featured above can be machine washed but also should be air dried. Check the product description or contact the manufacturer before you machine wash your gloves to be sure this is an acceptable cleaning option.
Generally, the dryer should be avoided. Place the gloves in a warm, dry area and let them air dry for a few hours. Hanging them from the fingertips from a clothes line often provide the most efficient drying results. Only use the dryer if the manufacturer indicates it is an acceptable method.
A high-quality snow glove will come with waterproof protection. However, the coating that makes gloves waterproof can diminish over time. A product such as Nikwax Glove Proof can be used to attempt to re-establish the waterproofing.
Manufacturers commonly have size charts listed online. For example, the Velazzio gloves shown above have a size chart on Amazon that helps determine your glove size (small, medium, large/extra-large) by mid-finger length, palm circumference, and total length. You will need a measurement tool such as a sewing or body tape measure to take the measurements. Always reference the size chart for the best glove hand fit.
3M Thinsulate is term used a lot in this article because the majority of the gloves use this material. Thinsulate, as you likely guessed, is a thin (microfiber) material made by 3M. The thin microfibers are super efficient at trapping warm air from the body in the gloves while also allowing the hands to breathe. Sweat build up in the gloves is deterred by the breathability of the gloves from the Thinsulate.
Mittens often provide better warmth than gloves but they do not provide the grip. We recommend using gloves to shovel since the the use of the fingers can better help secure the hand around the tool.
Yes, these gloves will work for snow blowing, skiing, building a snowman, and numerous other winter outdoor activities. We recommend having a pair handy for your vehicle along with a hat, ice scraper, blanket, and shovel for the car trunk. These items are some basics for emergency purposes.